I've often imagined myself holding hands with the love of my life in my rocking chair living well into our nineties. Cute right? But here's my reality - I love the thought of greasy bacon and sugary sweet pancakes. I've always thought breakfasts needed to be fried and greasy; and snacks had to be eaten straight out of a bag. The truth is that's not going to get me into my nineties.
So the last thing I expected to be putting up on this blog would have been Gluten free Coffee Granola! I have to admit it is probably the best tasting granola that I have had. It's an amazing energy boosting breakfast and it also works really well as an anytime snack.
Use a coffee that you really like. I used the Colombian coffee because of the wonderful chocolate notes in its aroma, but I think that the Brazilian coffee would have worked just as well here.
- 330g gluten free oats
- 55g raw pecan nuts chopped
- 55g chopped dates (pitted dates)
- 4 tablespoons finely ground coffee
- 3 tablespoons almond butter
- 3 tablespoons sugar free peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons honey - or more if you like it sweeter.
- 1/2 cup water to thin the almond butter - adjust this amount depending on the consistency of your almond butter.
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- Preheat oven to 150 deg C.
- Combine oats, pecans, dates, and ground coffee in a large mixing bowl.
- Combine almond butter, peanut butter, vanilla extract, salt and water and heat in a small pot over medium heat. Whisk until smooth, and add more water until the mixture is pourable.
- Pour the almond butter mixture over the oats mixture and stir until all the dry ingredients are well coated.
- Spread onto a baking sheet, and pack tightly with little or no space between the ingredients to ensure that you get big clumps of granola.
- Bake for 25 to 28 minutes. Shake the pan and flip halfway through the baking.
- The granola will crisp up as it bakes, but be careful no to let it burn.
- Allow to cool before crumbling over milk and splash a bit of yogurt over it for a delicious breakfast.
- Add your favourite berries as a topping.